Sunday, October 21, 2007

Long runs for 6/9 and 13/9

Three weeks ago Jessica, Staley and I ran our long run together, 9 miles. This was the longest run I had ever done uptil that point and I was really nervous the entire night before. I had trouble falling asleep but thankfully not too much trouble getting up. The last two miles were a little tough but having Jessica there made a world of difference. The strange thing about that is that I wasn't exhausted. To a large extent, it was mental. I knew I was past 7 miles and I'd never run this far so my brain was telling me that I had to be tired for the last two miles.

Last weekend we were supposed to run 7 miles but I decided I didn't want to drop so far down so ran 8 instead. This time, Staley and Jessica and Zaundra were with me, which is good because we started at 6 in the morning and it was still dark outside. Jessica and Zaundra had planned to do 7 miles while Staley was willing to do 8 with me. Midway through the run, we were discussing how to add the one mile in and he tried to trick me into doing more than 8 miles. His argument was that once I was done, I would feel like I had accomplished so much. But for me, I don't like being misled. I need to mentally prepare for the work ahead. He also will say things like "that's it, now we have only 4 miles left" but in actuality, we have 4.5 or 5 miles still left and needless to say, I don't like that either.
It took a little while to shake the irritation off from that encounter but I think at the end of the day, I would still rather have someone running with me that I get along with than have to do this alone.

No comments: