Friday, August 25, 2006

Complications

Typical scenario:
time 0: Get ACL recontruction
+ 2-4 months: start rehabilitation with PT
+ 4-8 months: Test the knee (comprehensive physical test that involves stressing and loading the
knee to make sure that it can handle all kinds of movement)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had my surgery during winter break so when school started I was almost off my crutches. 2 months into my spring semester, I started to get back pain. One day, a sneeze started shooting pains down the leg that had had surgery. I panicked and saw a chiropracter (who made it worse). Eventually, I found a PT that speciallized in back troubles. Through that I found out that I had scoliosis (not too bad) and a pinched nerve (BAD!).

Therapy helped end that pain and I went back to PT for my knee. At this point it had been almost 7 months when I finally tested. I didn't pass the test! My knee wasn't strong enough to do lunges for three minutes. So I went back two months later and tested again. Finally!! I passed!

No comments: