Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Sugar!

ta ta ta ta ta
oh honey honey.
(I used to love that song)

I've been monitoring my sugar intake lately since it seems like I'm particularly drawn to it. My nutritionist noticed that I tend to eat a little bit of something sugary almost everyday. So for the past two weeks, I've been trying to avoid it and also pay attention to cravings.

Things were going quite well until yesterday.
I had to leave home in a hurry so I grabbed a third of a nature's path bar as a snack (these are fairly balanced bars so I thought it wouldn't be too bad on my sugar levels). Last night though, I was craving something sweet so badly that I ate 1.5 hermit cookies. That in and of itself isn't too bad (they were newman's own) BUT...
I ate the half first and then instead of eating the remaining half, I actually ate a whole other (or for those of you that prefer: a whole nother) cookie! Then I caught myself wanting that half that was left in there.

Today was similar. I had a kashi frozen meal for lunch (sweet and sour chicken). It didn't occur to me that the entree was so sugary I could hear my taste buds singing their special sugar song. So for a snack this afternoon, I had pistachio nuts (good job G!) and 2 nutter butters (aw, and you were doing so well... sad face)

Now I have what I think is a sugar headache. Woe is me.

So here are the pressing questions:
I am quite hyper after I come back from my long runs. Could that be because of the 1-3 gel packets I consume? 100 calories of various sugars per packet. Hmmm.

Also, I eat like a mad woman over the weekend. Sure, saturdays are going to be a food fest since I run for hours at a time but its not just food but food like cookies and white chocolate mochas that I want. Then I get one because, you know, I worked for it. Then I want more. So I get something else on sunday because, you know, I'll work it off.

But that's the problem. I will work it off. But what about the gigantic arse on me that I am still trying to work off in the first place?

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Sugar, you are my candy girl...and you got me wanting you!

Gayatri, I eat way more sugar than you, and everyday I say I'm going to do better (until the cookies show up).

I think being hyper after a run is the endorphines from running. I honestly think we burn those gels fairly quickly.

I also think we should let ourselves splurge on long run days. But, sadly, we need to stop the splurge when Sunday rolls around.

I'm going to try not to drink a coke for....how long? Let's start with a week? < crosses fingers >