Monday, May 05, 2008

It's also the alcohol

Two weekends ago, a friend had a birthday party. A beer brewing, 16-yr old laguvilin (scotch) sharing friend. We got home feeling toasty and very much loved. The following monday, I noticed the scale was registering a heavier weight for me. I figured that would even itself out over the week and didn't think too much of it. Then on friday, we met some friends at the new neighbourhood watering hole. Didn't get drunk or even tipsy, didn't eat whataburger after (like we usually do) but again, the weighing scale registered a heavier number the following day.

I think, anything that messes with my cellular water content (i.e. water retention) messes with my weight. Salt, alcohol, humidity, gravity etc. Ever since I went off the pill, eating badly once or twice hasn't been as fatal as it used to be. This leads me to think that alcohol is particularly insidious because that 'weight gain' seems to last longer (it took almost all week to get it down to baseline).

So, for the next month, I'm going off alcohol. Completely (no let me taste your drink, no just a sip). Perhaps, once that is done, I can fiddle around with the kind and quantity of alcohol to figure out if these two factors make a difference.

Updates to follow.

No comments: