Friday, January 11, 2008

Running or jogging

Apparently, in order to be technically running your speed has to be 9min/mile or faster. Otherwise, you're jogging.
I disagree.
There has to be a definition of running that involves perceived effort because a raw running pace cutoff doesn't take into account weight and body builds. I don't know if I'll ever get to the point that I can sustain 9min miles for longer than a mile but that doesn't mean that I'm not going the fastest I can when I 'run'. Not to mention, even though I'm slow, I do have a running pace and a jogging pace. I think there needs to be a new definition for the two terms.
Or maybe we just need to get away from this need to feel better than all those slow people out there (they jog but I actually run).

Thoughts?

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Who says it as to be 9min/mile or faster? On the treadmills at Lifetime Fitness, the "Jog" button is 4 mph - which is a 12min/mile pace. The "Run" button is a 10min/mile pace, so go figure (these are the quick-start buttons that can be chosen). David and I thought perhaps they were made for typical gym treadmill goers - out-of-shape and over-weight. But, we have one source on our side that says a 10min/mile is RUNNING!