Friday, March 03, 2006

Ponder this.

I was looking around campus today and noticed the strangest thing. This is ofcourse in comparison to UofM (Ann Arbor) but anyways:
I noticed that almost everyone on campus at UT is in pretty good shape. I don't mean that they are very fit, since I have no way of knowing this but in the sense that they all seem within their healthy weight ranges.
However, the people that aren't healthy are extrememly overweight. But even then there aren't that many of them either. That's just strange to me. At UofM, it seems, there was a 60-40 break between the healthy/over weights.

Now, there are two possible reasons this has jumped out at me.
1. It's possible that since Michigan was such a cold state, the incidence of obesity was higher there. Detroit is one of the fattest cities in the US but then so is Houston.

2. It's also possible that since I was on the engineering campus I was witnessing a skewed population. Allow me to explain. The campus had a university run cafeteria that closed at 2. After that, your options were a cafe (also university run) that was obscenely expensive and a coffee shop with 'healthy' sugar. Oh, and little ceasers that turned into McDs later. So, needless to say, we weren't the best eaters. Even the stuff that was walking distance (uphill!) from the campus was greasy chinese (lucky chicken fondly called yucky chicken) or a bagel shop that closed at 2-ish.

I wonder what this difference is about, I'll leave it to you to decide.

1 comment:

Joey Martin said...

Things that came to mind:
Colder weather does limit opportunities to be active. Just like living in a sucky place like Houston limits opportunities to be active.

Houston is also the eating out capital of the US. Houstonians eat out more than any other city on average.

Austin is noted as being a "fit" city. Semi-California like in that way.