Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Things I have learned from years of physical therapy

Had my annual pilgrimage to the physical therapist today. Actually this was the referral to go see the PT tomorrow. I came away with my head swimming in lots of fancy words and compounded latinates like patellofemoral. I'll have more details about how this will affect the training plan tomorrow.

But for now I give you some nuggets of wisdom:

1. Names of the muscle are fun to say. Popliteal muscle anyone? How about iliotibial? But with another word attached they become scary. e.g. popliteal tendonopathy or iliotibial syndrome.

2. Do not trust a first diagnosis of anything that ends in 'bursitis' that means, they don't know what it is. Sandeep had a 'bursitis' till they figured out what is was. My SI syndrome (OMG SYNDROME!!) was a 'bursitis' till Dr Spears got to it. Just get a second opinion.

p.s. the SI syndrome has undetermined-graded to SI joint dysfunction.

p.p.s. I might have to start aquajogging. I might also have to give myself a wedgie. We'll see.

No comments: